Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The W Word

Yesterday was an odd day. Or perhaps it was more myself that was the oddity. The day was quite normal, thinking about it again. I don't know why, but sometimes, I get weird. Not your normal weird, I'm talking weird-weird. I think society has it twisted, though. Weird isn't a bad thing, to be apart from normalcy, to exercise your right to be different; to be an individual. That is something of great worth. Sometimes I'll feel like talking with an accent, to nobody in particular, just as a way of speaking. Some parts of me will advise against it, luckily those are the quietest voices. I'll joke around, dance, make noise, and just enjoy the particularly unenjoyable areas of life. For me, it's not so much what I'm doing as it is how I'm doing it.

But back on point, why is weird such a negative word? I try not to judge others as much as consciously possible, but I find the one word I'll use to describe what I see in people is "weird". Yet, when I say weird, I mean it to be a compliment. Whether it someone wearing clothes that aren't "in style", or perhaps a different hairstyle, or a walk, or an accent, or an attitude that doesn't fit the norm. To me, it's good-weird. What could be gained from one another if we share all the same thoughts and interests? Where and how may we then progress? As far as I see it, any steps to be more like everyone else and less like yourself are steps in the wrong direction.

The only thing that differentiates this whole bad-weird we have in society and funny or amusing is the laughter that follows. Funny is what we don't expect, it's ironic, surprising, spontaneous, and often very weird. But funny gets a laugh. What is a laugh anyways? Sometimes the funniest situations go without the support of a chuckle. I say be funny on your own, ignore the laughter and just be. Weird is easier than funny anyways; anyone can be weird. Ignore the stigma too, weird shouldn't be a bad word. Take it as a compliment that you've achieved something beyond expected; you've forced someone to see beyond their point of view, you've introduced something different. For better or for worse, you've changed things.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't advocate being weird if it's not how you feel. If you, to your very core, are an utterly normal person, be yourself. But if not, or if you feel a sudden urge to be weird, indulge a bit. And if not, don't knock others for their weirdness. Weird is a good thing. I'm perfectly content to say I'm weird, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment