Saturday, July 14, 2012

...

For me, a guy who finds great difficulty in initiating social exchanges, I wonder whether this is a skill that needs to be built up as opposed to a natural faculty. As children, we are directed in our friendships, guided by the hands of parents, teachers, coaches and other adults that steer us towards friends and ensure that these bonds are well maintained. When we make mistakes, when we act improperly or selfishly, our guardians correct us and teach us how to properly associate with others. Eventually, we are weaned off this support and left to fend for ourselves. As the training wheels are removed from our bikes, and we begin the wobbly ride of independence, we understand our true capabilities.

However, in my own experiences, perhaps I've fallen off one too many times to be comfortable riding without assistance. This is where this metaphor falls apart, as one can walk away from their bike much easier than they can turn their back on friendships. Furthermore, it's not as though I wish to be without friends. Just as the inept rider desires flawless ability, I too desire the ability to comfortably navigate social exchanges. I simply acknowledge my hesitancy to try as it also represents the risk of failure.

Knowing that improvement comes from experience, I am finding myself uncomfortably driven towards pushing my comfort zone outward and risking the pains of failure. I acknowledge, as well, how absurdly stuck I am in my own head regarding this. Yet, where else am I to be as I think my way in and out of these tough situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment