Saturday, December 8, 2012

Healthy Desire

What is a healthy desire?

Is there such a thing? I suppose I should start there. What does it look like to look longingly upon an object and wish to possess it without associations of domination, control or obsession? This Christmas, I have no list and yet I still fear that materialism will overwhelm me. As I reflect on the gifts I could have received, the things I could be using; I will be in a position of unhealthy desire. That is what inspired this quandary, yet it does little to resolve the initial question.

Whether we're speaking in terms of people or things, our gaze has a potential to reduce what we view to the position of objects. We alter these objects from their reduced state to mental representations of happiness, adding to the list, omitting forgotten treasures and discarding past acquisitions. We are a people in process, searching for the things that'll bring with them happiness. This, as far as I can see, is the unhealthy desire that taints our interactions with the things we buy but also the people we objectify. We control what we possess, and seek to possess all within our reach, looking upon the world with outstretched arms.

So what may healthy desire look like? How can I still desire if the very notion is tainted with my flawed approach? If desire itself knows no bounds, am I trying to consolidate oppositional forces? At this point I usually get all analytical, but I'll flip it, and leave this for you to decide. Let me know. What is a healthy desire? Can this be applied generally or is it specifically bound to set circumstances?

Holla-acha-boi.

No comments:

Post a Comment