Thursday, April 11, 2013

Questions and Curiosity.

If I speak any wisdom, let it be coupled with curiosity that reaches beyond what is known. Let it be nestled between that which is experienced, relatable and predictable and that which requires further investigation. Let it not be finite but rather in progress. If I should speak wisdom at all, it is only to proclaim the limits of my own understanding and a desire to go beyond my present threshold.

Yet, far better than to speak with wisdom is to speak with curiosity. Curiosity drives introspection, the acquisition of knowledge, the very genesis of wisdom. The critical mind struggles with the known in ways that render it unfamiliar, constantly shifting perspectives with each gaze like the eager child manipulating the lens of a kaleidoscope. Who's to say which glance carries truth?

As I reflect on my journey as a student teacher, I am filled with questions. I look back upon the semester, and many of my quandaries remain unanswered. We were told to become comfortable with the uncomfortable, challenged to embrace the uncertainty that accompanies reality. Within my practice, without comfort, I find myself seeking answers but accepting questions as a possible end. So I'll continue to ask, storing up questions like treasures with the hopes of finding answers that illuminate the darkest areas of the unknown. However, should they remain beyond my grasp, I shall grow ever more comfortable continuing to ask questions that force me to reach beyond the limits of my own perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment