Monday, October 3, 2016

Birthday Blog

Hey Guys,

So it's now out there, officially, for all to see. I have a hard time talking about this, perhaps because I have an ever harder time understanding it myself, but I really struggle to feel comfortable on my birthday. I know it's a sort of commemorative day, but all I did was show up some 27 years ago. Logically speaking, the day has no difference from any other; we don't gain a year's worth of wisdom in a day. I get that I have issues with it, and that I overthink it, but the truth is I feel such a weird social pressure around this day. I won't get into it at length, but I just usually end up feeling isolated at the end of the day.

This year, however, I had a request. I asked Leah if she could gather some memories from my friends and compile them. I don't usually use this phrase, because I find it a little awkward for me but the only thing that comes to mind is that my heart feels full. In reading over the memories shared, it has really helped me realize the impact the smallest gestures we do may have. There are many people whose words carry great weight with me. I have such a respect for the way words we share can bring healing, and I feel filled by the memories I've been fortunate enough to share.

One friend, speaking with great wisdom, remarked that "friendship relies on memory." I am so thankful to have amazing people who surround me, sharing in life and building the memories to sustain me when I feel alone or isolated. Friends, your words have more impact than I can appropriately communicate.

Thank you for making this a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment