Sunday, March 7, 2010

Philosophy: More than just thinking

Wow, feels like it's been quite some time since I've posted. Either I've been really busy, or just neglecting to reflect -- probably the latter. There is something that's been on my mind for a while now, sparked by this discussion we had in bible study last Thursday. I've got a million thoughts and nowhere to think them out, so I guess this blog shall be my canvas. If I do this right, there should be some nice philosophical thoughts to follow.

If I had to tell you one key truth about philosophy, something that most people don't realize or recognize, it'd be that it involves more than just thinking. Most people who are sceptical of philosophy reject it as a feasible process for solving problems because it's a circular process which brings up more questions than answers. It's true, rarely do the questions get answers, as they usually open the forum up for more inquiry, but that's all part of the process. However, philosophy reaches way beyond thought; it stretches into ideas and concepts. It begins in the realm of thought, but evolves into a place where my thoughts can be shown to you to be convincing and clever. A thought is a simple, contained notion, and anybody can think. However, taking my thought out of my mind, expressing it to you in a clear way, and developing it to the point of a strong idea is where most people get lost in the process of philosophy.

Well, now that that distinction is out of the way, I might as well get on to some of the ideas that I have been considering as of late. The main branch of philosophy which has been on my mind is metaphysics (beyond or after physics). This is a look into the nature of the real/reality. Not only this major concept, but I guess I'm also looking into the concept of one’s identity/the notion of the self, and the problem of the mind/body. Not exactly your basic stuff to try and fight through, but definitely stuff worth thinking about. Scratch that, stuff worth philosophizing over. (I love these made-up-sounding philosophy words)

After just trudging through Meditations I and II by Descartes, I have come to the conclusion that I exist. Everyone should realize how they can be sure of their existence, it's pretty important stuff. More importantly, I realize now that there are things in our world which can deceive my sensual experience, and trick my mind into believing that which isn't necessarily true. So, to summarize my main man D; think to be, and ask questions.

But for my purposes, Descartes only acts as a springboard into the greater questions and concepts. Mind you, it is necessary to start with a basis, and there'd be no point in inquiring about any more if my existence is in question. But sit tight and rest assured that as long as I am thinking I am existing, and I presume you can believe the same about yourself. Don't try to convince me you exist though, because if I'm like Descartes, chances are I'm still somewhat unconvinced at this point. Anyways, springboard.

Yes, springboard. So, my existence at this point is reduced to the existence of my mind. My thoughts are the only things which keep me suspended in some form of a reality. All things around me may be deceptions constantly causing myself to be fooled by what is not real. Matrix, anyone? Anyways, if everything is a deception, all I can be certain of are the thoughts I have. Yet, if this is the case, clearly there is an argument for the mind. Be clear, the mind isn't the brain. The mind is the soul/consciousness/mind/whatever other terms there are. It exists independent of the brain, as it is not a spatial body. It is formless, shapeless, weightless, odourless and tasteless. It is just there. Hard to buy what I'm selling? Most would agree with you there. However, if you find yourself on the side of the body and the mind existing independently, call yourself a dualist. If not, and you only see the body/brain with no other parts, you can call yourself an idiot...er, I mean, a monist (kidding of course).

Dualist bonuses...life after death, possible chances for a healthy soul while the human body is damaged, ability to protect the mind from damages/abuses to the body.

Dualist problemos...hard to prove something which cannot be seen/felt, must find the link where the mind and body interact.

Monist bonuses...a certainty in what death has to bring (worms meat), scientifically easier to defend.

Monist problemo...there is nothing which differs us from animals/AI except that we're (currently) smarter

So here's a basic into to what I'm currently wrestling with. Sorry if I droned on about it, but if you wish to ask questions/discuss this stuff, I am more than willing to. In fact, I'd love to! Post here or contact me some other way and we can hammer it out.

P.S, more to follow as I uncover more, so wait in uneasy anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment