Wednesday, September 22, 2010

If...

If I've only got one last breath,
I wish to breathe You in.
To have my lungs expand with your loving mercy,
to feel your warmth spread throughout my body,
until finally, together, we leave this existence for something greater.

If I've only got one last step,
I wish it to be a step in Your direction.
Uplifted by Your strength, pressed on by Your encouragement,
I plunge myself forward down the path You've paved for me,
until I fall in submission to Your greater calling.

If I've only got one last word,
I wish it to be love.
Completing a circle, from birth to death;
let me declare all I knew, all I valued, all You taught me,
until the very moment I fall silent, I shall speak of Your love.

And yet, tomorrow many breaths, steps, and words shall pass.
Moments lost, forgotten, neglected, and abandoned.
With such careful planning do I look upon my last acts,
that I neglect the present.

If I yearn for You, let it be in the first breath of every day,
If I wish to follow You, let it begin with the first step,
If I long to declare Your worth, let it be done in every utterance.
If my broken spirit needs your healing, let it start right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment