Wednesday, September 22, 2010

If it's the beaches...

So, I'm in a sappy mood. Perhaps this is a good thing, as I've been neglecting actual writing and I need to generate some form of practice before papers start needing work. Anyways, as I say, sappy mood. Play this song at the end of this post, and cry if you've got a soul. Kidding, but seriously, I love the language used in this song, truly masterful.

When I hear it, especially in my current state, it makes me think of how wonderfully lucky I am. I remember, when I look back on things, feeling as hopeless as I've ever felt in life. I was mad, I was frustrated, I was confused, and as I said before, I was hopeless. In a word, I was heartbroken. In this state, I was so mad at myself for ever letting anyone close enough to me to really cause me hurt that I vowed never to make the same mistake again. I didn't want to share myself, cause I'd already lost so much in this failed attempt at "love". Cynical, depressing, and bitter was I.

But alas, I mentioned lucky. I've come to conclude that hurt is a necessary beast. Many lessons I've learned from anguish and despair, even in my short time on Earth. Without the pains, there'd have been no chance for happiness to have occurred as it did in my romances of the past. Emotion is necessary, and lends itself to all sorts of unexpected outbursts. But yes, lucky.

I have arrived, my friends. I know love. Everything I thought I knew, everything I felt, it all has changed, and I am loving it. This love, though, wouldn't be possible if I was still my old, cynical self. I had to take the chance, and it is this chance which keeps me on edge. Songs such as this sting as reminders of the other side of fortune. The more I have, the happier I am, the more I stand to lose. The prospect of losing this love, the very notion, be it simple, contrived only in the mind, and fleeting, is enough to bring tears to my eyes as I listen to the pain in this song.

Enjoy?

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that you posted this before coffee yesterday. Hopefully after some time this is the next song that comes in a situation like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ESdn0MuJWQ

    ReplyDelete