Thursday, April 7, 2011

Imperfection...

Our love is imperfect,

It's messy, unplanned, unfinished, and slightly off-centre. It may be constant, but its presence is subverted and hidden by obligation and routine. We fight for every inch of ground only to realize we're standing on eachother's toes. We argue so deeply that we drown ourselves in trivial confusions. We overshare, and leave things unsaid. We grow too close, and then counterbalance by placing great distances between us. We are on the process of perfection, aware of our distant proximity from any semblance of it in our lives. Yet, as you remind me, beauty can be found in the asymmetrical.

Our eyes are drawn not to the things which are mirror images, but those which stand apart. My most vivid mental images are incomparable to the true beauty of the world. I'm incapible of envisioning anything truly unique, something representing natural beauty. I can recreate what I've already seen, but there is no capturing the essence of a sight by simply reproducing it in my mind. We're always looking at what we think is beautiful, but never questioning the lack of fulfillment we experience. Always wanting more, growing tired of those things which our minds have grasped, we require more than we're capable of providing for ourselves.

And so, when I realize just how imperfect our love is, it's with these things in mind that I can find joy. Though our love is not an ideal, though we're not the manifestation of perfection, I am satisfied. Not satisfied as in "that sandwich was satisfying." No, satisfied as in I need not look further for happiness. I need not look upon the perfection in others with envy or yearning. I am imperfect, I am in love, and though I'd love to be perfect in my submission, I am incapable of perfect love. I am capable of admitting my shortcomings, I am capable of accepting my faults and I am certainly capable of trying to overcome. I work every day to better myself not with the hopes of perfecting our love, I work with the hopes that we both need not look any further. I work to give you the love you deserve. Even when you don't see me, I work to capture and hold on to your beauty for the moments where our imperfection is showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment