Thursday, May 19, 2011

Venting/Trying to Figure out What to do

So lately it has come to my attention that no matter what I do, no matter what others may think, no matter how much effort I put into relationships, I'm bound to fail. Unfortunately, the failures of late haven't been little things, not to me anyways. The failures have been really offensive, they have been born from carelessness and represented me as a man I'd never wish to be. An apology may repair the damage-if forgiveness is afforded to me-but it doesn't change the fact that there are major areas in my life which I have come to overlook.

I came back from a church retreat this weekend on somewhat of a high horse. While I wasn't outwardly exclaiming anything prideful, nor had I been acting in a damaging nature, inside the feeling grew that I was doing things right. The feeling that swelled within had me feeling that I had been making all the right decisions, that I was well-liked by all, and that regardless of my effort, people would flock to me. I have taken friendship for granted, and to some extent forgotten what it means to properly engage in this bond. I have spent much time praying that I'll be a good husband, reflecting on what it means to be married, and what my role will look like, and I've neglected to care for the people around me.

I feel terrible. I feel absolutely terrible that I am about to get married in 3 weeks time, and there are people I have neglected to invite simply due to fear of offending them. If anyone knows the way to express this feeling, to overcome this issue please let me know. We are having a small reception, and in that comes the challenge of how invites are sent out. In the one wedding that I've attended, it was common knowledge that to be invited to one, without the other, was a major faux pas. I have thus spent hours trying to make a list that works, and feeling guilty over names of people I care about whom I wouldn't be able to invite. I want everyone to come to see my love for Leah, I want EVERYONE who cares, has cared, may care, thinks about us, knows us, etc to celebrate with me. But I let fear of awkward social conventions dictate my decision and have had it smack me in the face. I don't know where to go from here, but I feel as though regardless of my decision I've already approached this wrong. Please do weigh in, cause I'm feeling VERY hurt by the knowledge that I'm doing the wrong thing, and I need advice more than ever.

While I vent my regret, I know nothing more to say to express this remorse. Perhaps the words not said, the sentiments not expressed, have already done irrepairible damage. If not, I hope to try and fix this mistake, and am running out of time in which to act. Excuse my possible errors as I madly click away here on my laptop, this reflection was written out of true sentiment, and not filtered, edited, re-worded or altered as I feel it's best for me to be as real as possible about my reflection as thoughts come and go. Forgiveness is all I may ask of those who feel like I've let them down. The best thing for me is to know who you are, with the hope that I can become a better man through humility and grace. I'm sorry, and though I've not shown it, I hope you know I have come to value every relationship that has gotten me through the years of struggle and hardship.

Thanks for listening, my virtual therapists.

7 comments:

  1. It seems sad to me that such a day of celebration has turned out to be so stressful... Based on my experience with wedding receptions (none) I can see how it would be offensive to be invited to the wedding but not the reception - however (if it were me anyways) I would much prefer to be potentially let down at not going to the reception than to have no part in such an important day for you.

    Again I recognize that I don't know very much about this kind of thing and I also don't have a complete picture of the situation or the people involved.. but I would humbly suggest that you consider phoning up or arranging a coffee with each person individually you intended on inviting to the wedding but haven't yet. I mean I'm not entirely sure what your relationship with these people is like but if you explained as much of the situation as you felt comfortable and then extended an invitation to them, I think for the most part they would appreciate the effort.

    I know it is three weeks away and so part of me cringes at the awkwardness of explaining this... but I still think it is more preferable than them hearing about the wedding weeks after and missing this milestone in your life as if they truly are people who are invested in your life to any extent this will be something they won't want to miss.

    Again, this is just my suggestion and gut-response, but it is also likely that I don't have a complete enough view to comment. Regardless, I will be praying for you in the weeks before your wedding and it is my hope that you will be able to find peace with this whole situation and it not be a hindrance to the celebration which is this joyous event. Do not let the guilt that you are feeling now grow thicker and take hold of your feelings towards your wedding, as I think this is likely the worst thing that could happen and also a bit ridiculous since it's not at all what this event is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Matthew, one thing that i appreciate about your post is your tone of honesty. It takes a large amount of wisdom to be able to self-analyze and accurately pinpoint the areas of your life that could use some improving on. Watching you be able to take a humble stance has a humbling effect on others i think, at least i feel humbled by your ability to look at your own life objectively.

    From my experience of weddings (mostly from granville people who have been married), I have always been under the idea that the wedding ceremony itself is usually open to everyone (if that's what the couple wants), and that the reception is what the 'invite' pertains to. Whenever people i know have gotten married, i have never been offended if i didn't get invited to the reception, because i know that by nature of being a reception, it's impossible to (and unreasonable) to expect to be able to host an unlimited amount of people to come. Maybe if we were millionaires we could afford to invite everyone we know to the reception, but I think generally, people can have enough awareness to understand if they weren't invited.

    anyway i don't know if that helps, but in summary, i don't think the expectation of that one wedding you attended (ceremony without reception = bad) is necessarily the correct expectation. Like sydney said, i think people would rather be part of your ceremony and miss the reception than not even have the option because they never knew about it until months later. Also, I just can't see anyone getting so offended at not being invited to the reception that they would decide to boycott an open-invitation ceremony out of protest - and if they did, then ultimately that is not your problem, it is theirs. I know i've been in situation where someone would say "i wanted to go to the ceremony, but i wasn't invited", to which someone else would inform them that the ceremony was open to everyone and that they didn't have to be invited to that.

    So that's a different expectation perspective i guess. I think since it's your and leah's wedding, that you guys should get to have the power to set the expectation for others - and not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, i meant the expectation of the one wedding you attended is NOT necessarily the correct one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, wise words and just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with sydney and jonathan, and would just like to add that based on the weddings i've been to, i think it would be completely understandable if more people were invited to the ceremony than the reception. several of my cousins have had to do this due to the sheer size of our extended family alone. one of my cousins even made it clear that there wasn't space for our cousins' significant others! and another told us in the invitation how many seats we were allotted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt, thank you for expressing yourself so honestly...your consideration of others speaks volumes about the priorities you and Leah hold dear.
    You are both caring and wise, and your life together post-wedding will be filled with opportunities to bless others and include them in your lives. Start with the wedding...but don't stop once your married. I pray that the stress and the uncertainty of the present would give you a renewed appreciation of those who are dear to you. Would your marriage give you the forum you need to love others as Christ loves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt my thoughts echo a lot of those already said also wanted to add based on my experiences of my own wedding and others. Mine everyone was invited to ceremony and some to reception. It is totally normal to have to do that and weddings are stressful! Deciding who comes and who doesnt to the reception can be a big deal at the end of the day if they are good friends whether they are at the reception or not they would understand its not a personal thing but a money/obligation thing. Good luck with it all and if the ceremony is open love to come support you on the day!

    Lots of love jenn

    ReplyDelete