Monday, April 19, 2010

Sometimes my mind wanders...

I wonder how much significance I'd have as a person if I weren't constantly searching for meaning and importance. If my life were lived as selflessly as humanly possible, would that lead to more, or less social interaction? There seems to be this strong yearning for constant validation that drives me to seek out laughter. Yet, it's not validation alone, there's something more to it. It's as though humour equates itself to self-worth, and that without socially admirable qualities ones value is never really a matter for consideration. This isn't to say that life itself is a frivilous or meaningless quality, but rather that beyond existence there are these key things which either draw people toward or push them away from you. A neutral life without any of these attributes warrants little recognition and attention. Perhaps this is why these social traits are ever developed in the first place, as if subconsciously we're aware of our need to differentiate ourselves from this easily-forgotten position of neutral.

No comments:

Post a Comment