Thursday, May 13, 2010

Filling in the holes

So today was a long since dreaded trip to the dentist for some overdue repairs. Shall I refer to the work with such kind euphemisms? I think not. These were not simply repairs, this was the work of skilled experts chipping and boring holes deep inside my teeth for eventual reworkings of metal and plastic parts to fill such endless craters. They stuck me with all sorts of freezing needles to numb the pain, (grateful for this by the way) until BLAMO! A shot misses its target, and I get stuck with some adrenaline in the wrong place.

"Don't worry, I've just hit a blood vessel by accident. You'll feel your heartbeat increase as it passes through your system" says my calm, collected D-man.

Fantastic, I was practically falling asleep at the droll thoughts of drilling and digging deep inside my teeth. This shot should keep me awake at least. /sarcasm. Feeling like a rabbit on the run from a troop of predators, my heartbeat raced as my face swelled and puffed up. Quite attractive, I can assure you.

Anyways, it's interesting how things change when I lose the ability to speak. With my mouth swollen, I had no ability to communicate. With such a limited amount of options, I began to observe. Not only did I watch attentively, but I also listened with deep intention. I heard all the nuances and subtext being applied to avoid panic from a jittery patient. Without my ability to speak, I became an active listener.

It makes me think, how much of life am I missing because I'm speaking when I should be listening? I communicate my position using my body language and words, but I already know my position. How much would be gained by opening up my ears and making an effort to hear with intention? This is my thought of the day. As I'm limited to listening for the remainder of a couple hours, it'll be my goal to apply some intentional listening, and only speak when it is necessary.

Beyond this, sitting in the torture chair, I spoke and listened to God. I asked him for relief at first from this scratching and screeching. But then, it became about much more. I heard what was on my heart, remembered the needs of my community; my friends, family, significant other/lady friend. I prayed for the needs of others, and felt comfort in God's ability to respond.

It's easy to hear with open ears.

Maybe I need to schedule a return trip to the dentist for a complete life check-up.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew,
    I love this. Sounds like a rather profound trip to the dentist.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete