Thursday, May 6, 2010

Say what?

I'm sifting the noise to find my ideas; you could call it thinking. Beyond the surface of what's said lies a complicated process of elimination. In my mind at any given time hundreds of thoughts are speeding around on independent tracks in different directions. They remain unanchored and unbound, free to come and go, and entirely capable of repetition and growth. I see everything around me, and without conscious perception I neglect to realize each individual image is being processed and internalized. These images, along with other dormant or hidden pieces of information form the mental chaos. When order is applied, and these portions are separated into my conscious thought, something amazing is happening; the focus of my attention. I have the internal ability to magnify, amplify and develop any of these many thoughts. Beyond simply accessing and processing these thoughts, I then have the conscious decision of whether or not I express these ideas.

Such a complex process may take less than a second to occur, but its effects can last forever. The words I use may last far beyond my own demise, and reverberate in the minds of the future generations. If my speech is loving and kind, I can influence peace and generosity. If not, I can be the fuel to a raging fire of destruction and hatred. I may believe my words to be less influential than this, but regardless of my audience, I cannot deny that my words have an effect. I have the ability to purify my speech, and speak wisdom in silence if the occasion should require it. Influence may be as concealed as my most intimate of thoughts, but this is no reason to abandon consideration of my place in its effect.

1 comment: